If you want to do something fun and free with the family this weekend check out the Pirate Family Festival at the National Geographic Museum, June 22,2013 at 10am.
Ahoy, me mateys! Tired of the same old pirate stories? National Geographic Museum brings Real Pirates to life with historical re-enactors, telescope making, and traditional pirate tunes. Create your own jolly roger, see a live pirate show and falconry demonstration, learn how to build a boat and dive into the world of underwater archaeology!
Watch, Listen, and Learn
• Experience pistol duels and cannon fire, and learn about emergency amputations with The Valhallas Pirates, a group of modern day pirates
• Sword-fighting and sea shanties add up to a swashbuckling time with the Shadow Players
• Come meet Captain Flint along with his pirate puppet crew through storytime and songs with performances by Cliff Long
• Falconry demonstrations based on their use during the golden age of piracy with the Earth Conservation Corps
• Enjoy a delightful mix of sea shanties and musical styles. C. Shells will have children of all ages laughing, smiling and stamping their swashbuckling feet
• Sing along to maritime, nautical, and Celtic music, songs of past, present, and future with House of Cadarn
• Learn what it takes to survive as a modern pirate from the Moody Crewe
• Create a stomp cannon, test ship technology like ropes and pulleys, and design your own ship sail with Ideaventions
• Walk the plank with KEVA planks! Build a pirate ship, beach landing, or anything you want
• Make a maritime map and a sailor valentine to send abroad with the US Navy Museum
• Learn about the Whydah’s roots in the slave trade with the Pearl Coalition
• Face Painting
• Pirate Dress Up
• Spyglass Making
• Pirate Games
• Knot Tying
If you want to do something fun and free with the family bring them to the Pirate Family Festival this weekend.
Stay connected to Cheap in DC for more things to do that are cheap or free in Washington DC.