Mother’s Day weekend is the perfect time to be in Washington DC, because there are so many cheap and free things to do in this great city, so finding somewhere fun to take mom won’t be a problem especially if you are on a budget.
Here are 10 cheap and free things to do with mom in DC this weekend.
1. Mom will certainly appreciate attending a free performance at the Kennedy Center, on Saturday May 11th you can see The Virginia-based dance company offers a performance to promote educational and culturally enhanced awareness of life and on Sunday May 12th the gifted students from the D.C. community perform a program of classical works.
2. If your mom likes birds then take her to Bird Fest at the Rock Creek Park Nature Center, This free, family-friendly event will feature guided bird hikes, bird banding demonstrations, live birds of prey, a variety of fun and educational games and crafts for kids, interactive exhibits by conservation organizations, live music and Latin American dance performances, and a bird-themed planetarium show. Saturday May 11th from 9am to 3pm.
3. If mom likes trains, then take her to, The National Train Day event at Washington DC Union Station will feature free kids’ activities sponsored by Chuggington, interactive and educational exhibits, model train displays and giveaways. Visitors will have the chance to tour private luxury rail cars, freight and commuter trains, as well as current Amtrak equipment.
4. On Sunday May 11th take mom to see a free performance from “The President’s Own United States Marine Band“, at the John Philip Sousa Band Hall, at the Marine Barracks Annex, mom can sit back, relax, and listen to the sounds of , Joseph Haydn, Atar Arad, Claude Debussy, Eugène Ysaÿe, and Felix Mendelssohn.
5. Sunday should be a nice day so make a picnic basket, find a blanket, and take the mom to Gravelly Point, to see the planes land and take off from Reagan National Airport, she can enjoy the amazing view of the Potomac River.
6. If you want to treat mom to the theatre in DC, then find out how to find tickets for half price at some of the best theatres in Washington DC.
8. Mom can truly enjoy the beauty of unique plants and flowers at the United States Botanic Gardens. From roses to orchids, the rainforest to the Mid-Atlantic, rare and endangered plants to the latest in home gardens, you will find a world of plants and environments in our permanent exhibits and gardens. Any time of year, you’ll see something beautiful in bloom at the U.S. Botanic Gardens.
9. Take mom to the Smithsonian Gardens to see the Butterfly Habitat Garden, she can see a variety of plant species that can be used to attract butterflies to any garden.
10. Take mom to any one of the 19 museums in DC, from the Freer Gallery of Art, to the American History Museum, mom will truly enjoy you taking the time to find fun, cheap, and free things to do in DC.
Have a great weekend everyone!
Stay connected to Cheap in DC for more cheap or free events in Washington DC.